Day 2-One on One


“There is more to a boy than what his mother sees. There is more to a boy then what his father dreams. Inside every boy lies a heart that beats. And sometimes it screams, refusing to take defeat. And sometimes his father's dreams aren't big enough, and sometimes his mother's vision isn't long enough. And sometimes the boy has to dream his own dreams and break through the clouds with his own sunbeams.” 

― Ben Behunin, Remembering Isaac: The Wise and Joyful Potter of Niederbipp


Today I spent time with my oldest son. Just the two of us. This was the first time I have done this in...I can't remember when, and as I looked at him I thought, 'how sad that I haven't done this more'. 

We didn't do anything special: Got some dog food; Looked at all the frogs and snakes and turtles and lizards in the pet store-for as long as he wanted; Went to See's Candies for some chocolates; and went for a drive. So it wasn't anything spectacular, but it was wonderful to just be with him. To listen to him talk and not have any interruptions from his younger brothers. To hold his hand as we walked, and not have my hands full with other 'obligations'. To just be. It felt like a vacation and was so much fun we've planned a 'date' for next month, where we will do what ever he wants for a day.


I'm so excited!

This is a picture he took this summer
          

No comments:

Post a Comment