7 Month Recap

I think Ernest Hemingway says what I feel best.  "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."  The experiences I've had this past 7 months has been amazing.  I definitely am more aware of seeing new things or being aware of exciting things around me.  Like this morning on my bike ride.  As I came around the corner I saw a line of Hotshot Firefighters hiking up the road.  Blue helmets and yellow jackets.  Axes slung over their shoulders.  It was exciting.  Like being at a parade and hearing the marching band go by.  My heart was excited and awake and glad to be alive.

Where were they going?  Were they training in all their gear, getting use to climbing up steep hills?  Or were they doing work up there?  The point is, doing new things opens your eyes to new things.  Small moments of wonder and wanting to know more.

This past month I was able to experience some amazing things.


  • Outdoor concerts in the park are a new favorite summer experience for me.  WOW!
  • My first trail run-I'm totally hooked!!!  I need more trail running buddies because I want to go more.
  • Rock Climbing.  My husband and boys are totally hooked.  We've found a new family outdoor activity we all like to do.  In fact we want to get rock climbing gear for Christmas.  Such a fun experience.
  • Red Butte Gardens.  BEAUTIFUL!
  • Kickboxing.  I found another activity I really love.  It leaves me either totally sore or totally wasted the next day, but I love this.  The hour goes by so fast!
  • All the amazing natural wonders in our mountains.  
    • Macroinvertebrates are awesome!  
    • Beavers-I've seen the lodges and the dams and beavers swimming.  But to see the trees that were actually cut by beavers was pretty amazing.  
    • Robin's Nest-I haven't seen a robin's nest since I was a child.  It was really fun to show my boys.


Perhaps it is because I am in a 'mood' that will not shake these past three weeks, or perhaps I am feeling that I've become a selfish person.  Whatever the reason, I feel like I've become so focused on finding something new everyday that I've lost sight of what is really important.

So for the next month I'm going to focus more on spiritual goals and service goals.  I'm still going to work toward doing 365 new things in one year, but I need to focus more on things that are more lasting than a quick 'fun'.

I'll let you know what I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment