Day 103 - Make a Glass Blown Candy Dish

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” 
― Pablo Picasso

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” 

Today I went to Holdman Art Studios, in Lehi, and made a glass candy dish.  It was so much fun!!

The process of coloring the glass with crushed glass, rolling it, heating and reheating, smashing and pulling was amazing.

And can I say, I didn't want them to put the fans on because the heat from the kilns felt SO good! 
The pulling part was a lot harder than I expected.  Even though the glass is so hot you have to wear thick gloves and you can feel the heat through the gloves, it was harder than pulling taffy.  You use these thick 'tweezers' to grab the glass and pull.

The dish is quite large-bigger than my hands, and I love the blue.  When it is heated it just looks like lava, that deep red orange color, so you can't tell where the black and the blue and the white is.  I guess it kind of makes it fun, the not knowing what it will really look like until it's cooled.

Anyway, it was really fun.  If you are interested in going-go!   You won't be sorry.  And while you are there you can go into the room where they are making Stain Glass Windows for buildings-that looks like a lot of fun to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment