Day 20 - Make My Grandma's Fruitcake

“Traditions tell us where we have come from. Scripture itself is a better guide as to where we should now be going.” 
― N.T. Wright


When I was a child I loved going to my Grandma's house around Christmas.  Her kitchen was full of wonderful food and smells.  She would make divinity, english toffee, fudge, fruitcake, peanut brittle, cookies...the list goes on.  She had dishes full of Christmas treats, and they all tasted so good.  I remember one year she let me help her make fruit cake.  I was not a fan of fruit cake then, and I am not a fan now.  But she made a fruit cake that I liked.  For years I've thought, I should try making Grandma's Fruitcake.  

Today I finally made Grandma's Fruitcake.  I followed her recipe (except I couldn't find green or red pineapple).  It did NOT look like Grandma's Fruitcake.  It did NOT taste like Grandma's Fruitcake. 

I guess some things are better left as a memory.  And since Grandmas the world over always seem to make the best food...I will just have to remember my time with her when she would make platters of Christmas treats to take to all her neighbors.  And remember the times she would let me 'help' her in the kitchen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment